- Gather Evidence
- obtain letters, offender statements, respondent statements & relevant information to the case.
Sec. ( I )
A.Identify and locate suspects and perform criminal records/civil court, (defendant of lawsuit) queries on all individuals of the investigation.
NOTICE : After you identify the suspect, create an investigative strategy to prove the case.
B.Collect all important evidence regarding the suspect’s culpability. Use this evidence to develop a timeline of the alleged crime/violation.
C. Make sure that all evidence follows the proper chain-of-custody requirements.
D. Evidence such as offender letters or complaints /allegations should be immediately,forwarded, within 24 hours seal/fax and/or deliver to the central prison office by mail.**** * WARNING* ****
- Maintain confidentiality at all times do not discuss any active investigation with anyone
Sec.( II )
Interview anyone who has direct knowledge regarding the alleged crime/violation.
Take detailed notes of : who, what, when, where, how, why
Avoid leading questions. Use free narrative to allow the offender to provide an account of the incident.
Review unit file to confirm if the individual has any prior complaints, grievances or lawsuits filed against him/her if yes attach the documents to the present complaint.
Perform Follow ups
Sec. ( III )
Monitor the suspect through correspondence. Have the offender file an affirmation of truth or notarize the complaint.
Have the offender have other offenders monitor the individual & take notes regarding the individuals activities, including daily shifts & document the individuals association with staff.
Have NCOC staff members provide reports of what information they obtained during the investigation, Have staff contact the investigator at Internal Affairs/Office of inspector General
Contact the respondent.
Sec. ( IV )
*****REMAIN CALM BE RESPECTFULL AT ALL TIMES!******
- 1.a.Do not manipulate or antagonize the respondent!
- 2.b.Listen carefully to the respondent
- 3.c.answer any questions and speak slowly.
- 4.d.Always answer questions honestly and with sincerity.
- 1st.5.e. Contact the Official /Officer who committed the crime/civil rights violation.,
- 6.f .State to the individual has a complaint filed against him/her for a violation of criminal /civil law, state the specific violation/code.
- 7.g.Respectfully ask for his response to this allegation.
- 8.h. Advise the individual he is now under investigation & will be speaking to his supervisor, Warden, Internal Affairs/Office of Inspector General.
3.C.If hostile threaten criminal charges, or a federal lawsuit or both.
- 4.D.Contact the Warden, Major, or Captain about the violation and the individuals attitude/ or behaviour
- 5. E.Place complaint in file, obtain case # for file
******NOTICE****** ******NOTICE****** ******NOTICE******
- 6. F.Investigator’s must br Accurate, Concise & Thorough, there can be no mistakes in overlooking a clue which could come very beneficial to the Department prosecuting the individual.
**** Request in assisting in the Prosecution****
Sec. ( V )
9.A.Take the time to reacquaint yourself with the facts of the complaint.
- 10.B.Study all reports and chronological order of events.
- 11.C. Contact the DA in the appropriate jurisdiction
- 12.D.Establish a rapport with the DA’s Office,develop a sense of trust. In many instances, this could help lead to assisting in a prosecution by the FBI/DOJ/Sheriffs /Police Office
Write A Report To Founder/Executive Director
Sec. ( VI )
1.Document all investigative research performed, evidence obtained along with witness’s and interviews.
- 2.Proofread the report for accuracy prior to submitting it to the Founder/Executive Director
- 3.Report the facts of the investigation in the correspondence/ report and do not elaborate or make any conclusions yourself. Don’t use conjecture.